Castleknock History

St Brigid's, CastleknockReligious worship in Castleknock dates back to 1185 when Richard de Tyrell, son of the first Baron of Castleknock, gave a grant to the Benedictine Monks of the Abbey of Little Malvern, Worcestershire, to endow a religious house at Castleknock in honour of St Brigid. In 1609, a Church was built on the site of this Abbey, and the present Church in turn replaced it. The foundation stone of the present Church was laid on 20th October 1803 and, with the help of a loan of £1,000 in 1809 from the Board of First Fruits, was completed in 1810. A spire was added to the tower in 1864 but was struck by lightning in 1957 and had to be removed.

The tower houses two bells. The smaller was cast in Dublin in 1855, while the larger was part of a ring of six in St Werburgh’s Church in Dublin City and was cast in Gloucester in 1747. St Werburgh’s tower was removed in 1836, as it provided a vantage point overlooking Dublin Castle, and was thought to be a security risk. The bell came to St Brigid’s in 1855.

Aras an Uachtarain lies just inside the Parish boundary and St Brigid’s therefore has a President’s Pew. This was regularly occupied by President Erskine Childers and was most recently occupied by President Mary McAleese on her official visit to the Parish in 1998.

Vicars and Incumbents of Castleknock

1474 - Maighe

1499 - Richard Travers Fyche

1540 - Sir John Dongan

1615 - John Rice

1617 - Roger Good

1638 - Richard Matthewson

1661 - Patrick Sheridan

1662 - John Lukey

1665 - Elias De Vassel De Regnac

1669 - Henry Monypenny

1691 - Charles Proby

1695 - Philip Whittingham

1710 - Thomas Walls

1745 - John Towers

1752 - Kene Percival

1764 - Richard Godley

1767 - John O'Connor

1809 - George O'Connor

1843 - Samuel Hinds

1848 - Ralph Sadleir

1903 - Charles William O'Hara Mease

1922 - Robert Hale Bodel

1937 - Leopold A.P.W. Hunter

1951 - William W.L Rooke

1961 - Erberto Mahon Neill

1975 - Cecil William Bryan

1990 - William Paul Colton

2000 - Andrew D. H. Orr

Back to top